MU Undergraduate Catalog » General Information »


Undergraduate students are admitted to Marymount University as freshmen, transfer, certificate-seeking, and nondegree or visiting students. Qualified freshman and transfer students also may apply to the Honors Program. International students may enroll as full-time, degree-seeking students only. Through Marymount’s Academic Outreach, individuals may be enrolled off-site as degree- or certificate-seeking students. The University offers post-baccalaureate certificate programs for those who already hold a bachelor’s degree, and such students also are considered undergraduates. Application procedures for students in each category follow.

Undergraduate Student Admission Criteria

Marymount wishes to attract students whose educational interests and intellectual abilities are consistent with the goals and character of the University. The University’s undergraduate curriculum provides a balance between liberal arts education and career preparation. The curriculum also prepares students to become educated citizens in a complex society and equips them with the skills and knowledge necessary for entry or advancement in their chosen career fields.

In reviewing applications for admission, Marymount University places primary emphasis on the strength of an applicant’s academic record — the high school record for an entering freshman or the prior college studies of a transfer student. The University also takes into consideration national test scores, breadth of academic preparation, positive recommendations, and personal character in making its decisions. All submitted documents become University property and cannot be returned.

Medical Requirements

A confidential medical examination record that includes a complete record of immunizations is required for all undergraduate students. This record must be completed before the student may register for classes. The form is available from the Admissions Office or the Student Health Center.

Some students are also required to have accident and/or health insurance. For details, please see “Insurance”.


At Marymount, a freshman student is defined as a first-time college student. Most freshmen enroll at the University directly out of high school.

Applicants to the freshman class may be considered for admission if their high school grade point average (GPA) is 2.5 or better on a 4.0 scale; their combined SAT scores are within 100 points of the national average; and their academic preparation, recommendations, and character indicate that they are qualified to undertake Marymount University programs.

The following minimum high school courses are recommended:

English 4 units
Foreign Language 3 units
Mathematics 3 units
Science 2 units*
Social Sciences 3 units

*It is strongly recommended that applicants to the School of Health Professions programs have completed high school biology and chemistry. Other secondary-level science experience will be considered in special cases.

Applicants who do not meet these regular admission norms are referred to a committee that evaluates each student’s academic potential to admit those who have the best potential for success. The committee may choose to place these students in Marymount’s University Studies Program, which provides intensive academic coaching.

All applicants must submit the following items to be considered for admission:

Transfer Students

A transfer student is defined as a student with a semester or more of college experience at another accredited college or university.
To be considered for admission, transfer applicants with 30 or more college credits must present a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale from previous postsecondary institutions. Transfer applicants with fewer than 30 credits must also meet freshman admission requirements. Please refer to individual School sections for additional requirements for specific programs. Nursing program applicants should note additional requirements for their individual programs.

Applicants who have been enrolled in a college or university prior to applying to Marymount must submit the following:

Students who have been admitted for transfer to Marymount University will receive a formal transfer credit evaluation by the University registrar. It is the responsibility of the student applicant to provide the transcripts necessary for this evaluation. Marymount only accepts coursework for transfer credit from an institution accredited as degree-granting by a regional accrediting body for higher education at the time the coursework was completed. More information on transfer policies.

Articulation Agreements

To facilitate the entrance of transfer students from Northern Virginia Community College and Montgomery College in Maryland into baccalaureate programs, the University has articulation agreements with these institutions. These agreements inform students of course equivalencies between institutions. Information about these equivalencies is available from counselors at Northern Virginia Community College and Montgomery College, from Marymount University’s Office of Admissions, Marymount’s Academic Success Center, and online at

Some program-to-program articulation agreements have been established. Consult the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for further information.

International students

An international student is defined as an individual wishing to enroll who is neither a U.S. citizen nor a permanent
U.S. resident.

Visitors in B-1/B-2 status are not eligible to register. These individuals must change their status to an F-1 student visa in order to study at Marymount. F-1 visa international undergraduates may only enroll full time as degree-seeking students. Contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office or International Student Services Office for more information regarding this immigration regulation and other immigration-related questions.

Eligible international students must submit the following items to be considered:

Deadlines for Students in Need of an I-20

The completed application for international students in need of an I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility) must be received in the Admissions Office by the following dates, depending on where the applicant is presently residing:

For fall semester:
Students residing outside the U.S., July 1
Students residing inside the U.S., July 15

For spring semester:
Students residing outside the U.S., October 15
Students residing inside the U.S., November 1

For summer semester:
Students residing outside the U.S., March 15
Students residing inside the U.S., April 1

International students in need of an I-20 form must adequately document financial resources for the program’s duration. An I-20 will be issued when:

In cases where the applicant has been previously enrolled in the United States, he/she must also submit:

Honors Program

The University offers an Honors Program for undergraduate students wishing to augment their academic experience with a specialized curriculum designed to provide greater depth, breadth, and challenge. The program’s 21-credit course requirements can be integrated into any major.

Incoming freshmen and sophomores, as well as transfer students from other honors programs, may apply to the Marymount University Honors Program, but admission is competitive and limited to a maximum of 20 new participants each year. Applicants will be chosen based on a variety of credentials. The following criteria are recommended for those seeking program admission:

Those seeking admission to the program must submit an Honors Program application in addition to the general University admission application. Applicants must also submit an application essay and recommendations. Those admitted to the program are eligible for additional scholarship support.

Details about the Honors Program curriculum. Additional criteria and application requirements can be found on the program’s Web site:

Undergraduate Certificate-seeking Students

Marymount offers undergraduate certificate programs for individuals seeking specialized knowledge and skill. Individuals who wish to enter Marymount solely to earn a certificate, not in combination with a degree, must submit the following:

F-1 international students are not eligible to enroll in undergraduate certificate programs.

Nondegree Students

A nondegree undergraduate applicant is an individual who intends to enroll in a limited number of courses to increase vocational fitness, learn about recent developments in a field of interest, or transfer credits to a home institution. Nondegree applicants must submit the following items:

An F-1 visa student is not eligible to apply as a nondegree student. F-1 visa undergraduate students may only be admitted to the University as degree-seeking students. Please see admission requirements and procedures.

Nondegree Enrollment

An undergraduate nondegree student can attempt no more than 30 credit hours under nondegree status. Nondegree students are not eligible for financial aid, may not live on campus, and may be unable to enroll in courses in some highly selective undergraduate programs.

All nondegree students, including visiting nondegree students from institutions outside the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area, receive academic advising through the Academic Success Center.

Off-site Students Enrolled in Special Programs

Students enrolled in off-site programs through Marymount's Academic Outreach are required to submit official transcripts and, depending upon their academic objective, follow admission requirements consistent with degree- or certificate-seeking students.
Students who complete certificate programs and wish to be admitted as degree-seeking students must apply for admission to the degree program. Completion of a certificate offering does not guarantee admission to a degree program.

Opportunities for Credit Acquisition

Marymount participates in a number of programs that award credit to students for achievement or work experience, such as:
Advanced Placement (AP): Marymount University participates in the College Board Advanced Placement Program and awards college credit to entering students with qualifying scores. Applicants who seek advanced placement because they have taken one or more of the Advanced Placement Examinations should have the examination results sent to the Office of Admissions prior to enrollment. Freshmen and transfer students who have earned a qualifying score may be granted credit (without grades).

Advanced credit earned in this manner by entering freshmen and transfer students will fulfill any University or departmental graduation requirement. For a list of AP subject examinations, the Marymount course for which a student may earn credit(s), and the score required to earn those credit(s), please see the AP information under the FAQ section of the Registrar’s Office Web page on the University Web site,

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP): Marymount University also participates with the College Board in this program. Credit may be awarded for the CLEP subject examinations depending upon the score earned. The University follows the guidelines recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE) for awarding credit. The student’s University record will carry a notation of credit, but no grade will be awarded. The University does not recognize credits earned by CLEP general examinations. Undergraduate students interested in receiving credit for CLEP examinations should arrange for their official score reports to be sent directly from Educational Testing Service to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

For a list of CLEP subject examinations, the Marymount course for which a student may earn credit(s), and the score required to earn those credit(s), please see the CLEP information under the FAQ section of the Registrar’s Office Web page on the University Web site,

International Baccalaureate (IB): A student who does work based on college-level studies in an International Baccalaureate program in a secondary school may take the Higher Level Examinations. Subjects examined at the higher level with an earned grade at a qualifying indicated level will be considered for transfer credit. Any student interested in receiving credit for the Higher Level Examinations of the International Baccalaureate program should arrange for an official grade report to be sent directly to the Office of Admissions. If credit is awarded, the student’s University record carries a notation of credits, but no grade is recorded. No credit is awarded for subsidiary-level examinations.

For a list of IB subject examinations, the Marymount course for which a student may earn credit(s), and the score required to earn those credit(s), please see the IB information under the FAQ section of the Registrar’s Office Web page on the University Web site,

French Baccalaureate: Credit is granted for subjects with a minimum grade of 10. No credit is awarded for English or French language.

A-Levels: Credit is awarded for grades of A, B, or C. No credit is awarded for O-Level work.

DANTES/PONSI: Marymount University follows ACE guidelines for awarding credit applicable to a student’s program.

Credit Acceptance Policy

Acceptance of course credits earned elsewhere for credit toward degree requirements is at the sole discretion of Marymount University. No more than 30 undergraduate credits can be earned by a Marymount student through any combination of CLEP, ACT/PEP, and DANTES examinations. None of these 30 credits may be used to complete the residency requirement for graduation from Marymount.

Post-baccalaureate Student Admission Criteria

Students who already have a bachelor’s degree and wish to complete further study may apply to a post-baccalaureate certificate program. Applicants seeking a post-baccalaureate certificate must submit the following items to be considered for acceptance:

Applicants should also read the School section offering the desired certificate program to learn of possible additional admission requirements.

F-1 visa students are not eligible to enroll in post-baccalaureate programs.

Post-baccalaureate students are not required to submit a medical record form.

Unless otherwise noted, post-baccalaureate students follow the same academic policies as undergraduate students.

Courses needed to complete post-baccalaureate certificate requirements do not fulfill any graduate program course requirements.


Marymount University has a rolling admissions policy, unless otherwise noted in this catalog. The University notifies applicants as to whether they have met the criteria for admission after the application procedure is completed and the Admissions Committee has acted on the application.

All acceptances to Marymount University are tentative until the applicant’s final high school or college grades are received and conditions of the acceptance, if any, are met.

Deferral of Enrollment

Offers of admission may be deferred for one year. A request for a deferral of enrollment must be in writing. Updated transcripts and professional information must be provided prior to enrollment.