MU Undergraduate Catalog » Policies »

Transfer Policies

The Washington area attracts many residents and students from other parts of the country and the world. For this reason Marymount is especially responsive to students transferring directly from other institutions or bringing academic credits earned elsewhere. Transfer students receive academic counseling from advisors who pay special attention to the quality of prior academic learning as well as degree completion requirements.

Acceptance of course credits earned elsewhere for credit toward degree requirements is at the sole discretion of Marymount University. Courses from other regionally accredited institutions must be completed with a grade of C or better to be considered for transfer credit. The application of transferred course credits toward specific program requirements is determined by program directors, department chairs, or deans within each School.

Transfer applications are welcome at any stage of degree completion. The University accepts a maximum of 64 credit hours from a two-year institution. Applicants who have successfully completed junior-level coursework at a four-year institution may transfer up to 20 additional credit hours. No student may count more than 84 credit hours toward a degree. The University applies the following standards in considering transfer applications:

In addition to credits from regionally approved institutions, Marymount accepts College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) subject examination and Advanced Placement (AP) credits and provides special challenge credits for diploma graduates in Nursing. As a member of Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC), Marymount also accepts DANTES credits. No more than 30 undergraduate credits can be earned by a Marymount student through any combination of CLEP, ACT/PEP, or DANTES examinations, validation examinations administered by the academic departments of the University, or assessment of portfolios of prior learning. None of these 30 credits may be used to complete the residency requirement for graduation from Marymount; however, they may be counted toward the maximum of 84 credits toward a Marymount degree.

Transferring Credit After Entry

Prior written approval is required if a current Marymount University student wishes to enroll in college or university courses offered elsewhere and receive transfer credit from Marymount. Forms for this purpose are available in each School office and in the Registrar’s Office. Approved work at institutions other than Marymount University must be completed with a grade of C or better to be accepted. An official transcript must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar. No more than two courses may be accepted from another college after matriculation at Marymount. These courses are in addition to any courses taken through the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area and approved courses taken through Marymount’s Center for Global Education.