Marymount University

Undergraduate Catalog 2012-13

Academic Information and Policies

Academic Integrity Policy

Academic integrity is founded upon and encompasses the values of honesty, trust, fairness, respect, and responsibility. Supporting and affirming these values is essential to promoting and maintaining a high level of academic integrity, and educating community members about the value and practice of academic integrity is central to Marymount University’s mission. Each member of the academic community must stand accountable for his or her actions. As a result, a community develops in which students learn the responsibilities of citizenship and how to contribute honorably to their professions.

If knowledge is to be gained and properly evaluated, it must be pursued under conditions free from dishonesty. Deceit and misrepresentations are incompatible with the fundamental activity of this academic institution and shall not be tolerated. Members of the Marymount community are expected to foster in their own work the spirit of academic honesty and not to tolerate its abuse by others.

First responsibility for academic integrity lies with individual students and faculty members of this community. A violation of academic integrity is an act harmful to all other students, faculty and, ultimately, the University.

The Marymount University Academic Integrity Policy governs all student conduct directly related to the academic life of the institution and is in effect during all phases of a student’s academic career. The policy is applicable to any academically related experience involving Marymount University students whether occurring on the campus, in a distance-learning situation, or at host institutions or sites. Violations of this policy include cheating, plagiarism, misuse of academic resources, falsification of information or citations, and facilitating the academic dishonesty of others.

When a violation of academic integrity is suspected, students and faculty are encouraged to meet to determine an appropriate course of action. Penalties for first violations vary with the severity of the offense and may be assigned by the faculty member involved or through an academic integrity hearing process. Second violations require a penalty of suspension or expulsion, and must involve an academic integrity hearing. All alleged violations of the policy must be resolved in accordance with the Academic Integrity Policy and under the direct authority of a Marymount University faculty member or the Academic Integrity coordinator.

The complete Academic Integrity Policy provides detailed information on the nature of academic integrity violations, possible penalties, the adjudication process, and student rights and responsibilities under the policy. A summary of the policy can be found in the Marymount University Student Handbook; the complete policy is available on Marymount's website on the Current Students page. The Student Handbook is available through the Office of Student Development, the Registrar’s Office, and the Center for Teaching and Learning.


The University provides new students with an orientation program to prepare them academically and socially for their Marymount experience.

The undergraduate first-year student orientation programs prepare students for their academic experience. During the program, students will meet with an academic advisor and finalize a class schedule. Students also participate in social activities, get acquainted with classmates, and familiarize themselves with the Washington, DC, area.

Transfer students also participate in orientation, advising, and registration sessions. The transfer program allows these students to learn more about Marymount, as well as meet with an advisor and register for classes.

More information about Marymount Orientation programs can be found online at

Academic Year

Regular Academic Year

Marymount University operates on a semester system. The two terms of the regular academic year are known as the fall semester and the spring semester.

Summer Sessions

The summer term is known as the summer semester, with courses taught in segments identified as sessions. Sessions of varying length offer students the opportunity to earn credit during the summer semester.

Undergraduate students at every level use the summer sessions to accelerate their studies, to compensate for missed or failed courses, or to continue steady progress toward the completion of their degree programs. The University welcomes visiting students to use the summer sessions to acquire credits for transfer to their home institutions.

For session dates, consult the Academic Calendar or visit the University website at, search Registrar.


Each student is required to register at the time and in the manner designated by the registrar. Advance registration periods are posted on the Registrar’s Web page. Visit, search Registrar.

The student is required to seek the academic guidance of a faculty advisor in developing a schedule of classes. No credit will be granted for any course, including independent study, unless registration is completed within the prescribed time at the start of a semester. Responsibility rests with the student to register for the necessary courses in the proper sequence to meet the requirements of the chosen curriculum.

All prescribed charges for the previous semester must be paid before registration may begin. All charges for the ensuing semester must be paid or provided for before registration is complete. No student whose account is in arrears will be permitted to register until all obligations are met. This includes submission of medical records, payment of parking fees, and payment of library fines.

Students are responsible for maintaining a current U.S. address on file with the University. Students should advise the Registrar’s Office of any address changes. (See Address Change Notification.)

Course Load

Full-time undergraduate students normally carry a minimum of 12 and a maximum of 18 credits per semester. All credits are semester credits.

Registration for more than 18 credits requires permission from the student’s advisor and the associate dean.

Late Registration and Add/Withdrawal Period

During the first nine days of the fall or spring semester, unregistered students, including newly admitted students, may enroll in or add classes. During a summer session, a student must add before the second class meeting. Classes may not be added after the Late Registration and Add/Withdrawal period has ended.

Adding or Withdrawing from Courses/Separating from the University

Students can add or withdraw from courses online or in person up to the date specified in the Academic Calendar.

To withdraw from a class or classes, a student should complete an Add/Drop form at the Registrar’s Office or access his or her class schedule via Marynet.

To withdraw from all classes in a semester and maintain matriculation for the next semester, a student should complete a Continuous Registration form available at the Registrar's Office. The last date to move from enrollment to Continuous Registration is the same date as the last day to withdraw from classes as listed in the Academic Calendar. The date on which either form is received at the Registrar’s Office becomes the official date of withdrawal.

Any undergraduate student contemplating discontinuing his or her studies for more than one semester and leaving the University must consult with the associate vice president for Academic Affairs and complete an official "Request for Separation from the University" form available at the Center for Teaching and Learning. A written statement of separation with authorization may be required from a parent or guardian if the student is financially dependent. The date of submission of the Request for Separation form is the official date that determines the student’s financial responsibility to the University. Any tuition refund or credit will be calculated based on the withdrawal/separation date recorded by the Registrar’s Office. The last date to file a request for separation is the last day of classes as indicated by the Academic Calendar.

Students who stop attending courses without officially withdrawing from the course or separating from the University will receive an F.

Continuous Registration

All degree candidates must maintain active status at the University until all requirements are satisfied. Typically, students do so by enrolling in classes each semester. However, a student who intends to temporarily discontinue studies and not enroll for a semester must file for Continuous Registration. Continuous Registration may be maintained for a maximum of two consecutive semesters, not including the summer semester.

Continuous Registration requires submission of a written request, including the student’s signature, and may be provided via U.S. mail, by fax, or in person. For more information about the process, contact the Office of Admissions.

The date of submission of a Continuous Registration written request to the Office of the Registrar is the official date to determine the student’s financial responsibility to the University. For a student who has not enrolled in the current semester, the last date to file Continuous Registration is the last day to withdraw from classes.

If a student does not file for Continuous Registration, the student breaks registration and must reapply for admission to the University. A nondegree student who discontinues studies for one semester or more must reapply for admission to the University.

Students Enrolling at Consortium Institutions

All Marymount degree-seeking students in good academic standing are eligible to enroll in courses offered through the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area. (See Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area for participating institutions and programs.) Nondegree students are not eligible.

Degree-seeking students may enroll under the following conditions:

  • The course must be recommended by the student’s advisor and approved by the student’s program or department chair prior to enrollment.
  • The course may not be offered concurrently at Marymount.
  • A maximum of two courses may be counted for credit toward Marymount degree requirements.
  • Students may not enroll in consortium classes in the semester immediately preceding their anticipated graduation.

Enrollment at Marymount does not guarantee enrollment at a visited school.

Students enrolled in consortium courses follow the registration, withdrawal, and grading policies of the host institution.

Consortium courses fulfill the minimum-credits requirement for residency.

Registering for Consortium Classes

For consortium class registration procedures and deadlines, please visit the Registrar’s Office Web page. Visit, search Registrar and review the Frequently Asked Questions link.

A completed Consortium Registration Form must be received by Marymount’s Registrar’s Office at least one week prior to the start of the Marymount semester.

Visiting Consortium Students

Consortium students visiting Marymount must check in with the consortium coordinator in the Registrar’s Office. A completed permission slip must be presented. Visiting consortium students are not eligible for Marymount internships, clinical Nursing or Physical Therapy courses, or other specialized courses. All applicable fees are to be paid by the student to Marymount. Visiting students must call the consortium coordinator at (703) 284-1520 if they have questions about their eligibility for a course.

Credit Acquisition Opportunities

Marymount participates in a number of programs that award credit to students for achievement or work experience, such as:

Advanced Placement (AP): Marymount University participates in the College Board Advanced Placement Program and awards college credit to entering students with qualifying scores. Applicants who seek advanced placement because they have taken one or more of the Advanced Placement Examinations should have the examination results sent to the Office of Admissions prior to enrollment. Freshmen and transfer students who have earned a qualifying score may be granted credit (without grades). Advanced credit earned in this manner by entering freshmen and transfer students will fulfill any University or departmental graduation requirement. For a list of AP subject examinations, the Marymount course for which a student may earn credit(s), and the score required to earn those credit(s), please see the AP information on the Registrar’s Office Web page under "Information for Incoming Students." Visit, search Registrar.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP): Marymount University also participates with the College Board in this program. Credit may be awarded for the CLEP subject examinations depending upon the score earned. The University follows the guidelines recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE) for awarding credit. The student’s University record will carry a notation of credit, but no grade will be awarded. The University does not recognize credits earned by CLEP general examinations. Undergraduate students interested in receiving credit for CLEP examinations should arrange for their official score reports to be sent directly from Educational Testing Service to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

For a list of CLEP subject examinations, the Marymount course for which a student may earn credit(s), and the score required to earn those credit(s), please see the CLEP information on the Registrar’s Office Web page under "Information for Incoming Students." Visit, search Registrar.

International Baccalaureate (IB): A student who does work based on college-level studies in an International Baccalaureate program in a secondary school can earn college credits through IB Examinations. Subjects examined at the standard or higher level with an earned qualifying grade will be considered for transfer credit. Any student interested in receiving credit through the International Baccalaureate program should arrange for an official grade report to be sent directly to the Office of Admissions. If credit is awarded, the student’s University record carries a notation of credits, but no grade is recorded.

For a list of IB subject examinations, the Marymount course for which a student may earn credit(s), and the score required to earn those credit(s), please see the IB information on the Registrar’s Office Web page under "Information for Incoming Students." Visit, search Registrar.

French Baccalaureate: Credit is granted for subjects with a minimum grade of 10. No credit is awarded for English or French language.

A-Levels: Credit is awarded for grades of A, B, or C. No credit is awarded for O-Level work.

DANTES/PONSI: Marymount University follows ACE guidelines for awarding credit applicable to a student’s program.

Credit Acceptance Policy

Acceptance of course credits earned elsewhere for credit toward degree requirements is at the sole discretion of Marymount University. No more than 30 undergraduate credits can be earned by a Marymount student through any combination of CLEP, ACT/PEP, and DANTES examinations. None of these 30 credits may be used to complete the residency requirement for graduation from Marymount.

Transfer Policies

The Washington area attracts many residents and students from other parts of the country and the world. For this reason Marymount is especially responsive to students transferring directly from other institutions or bringing academic credits earned elsewhere. Transfer students receive academic counseling from advisors who pay special attention to the quality of prior academic learning as well as degree completion requirements.

Acceptance of course credits earned elsewhere for credit toward degree requirements is at the sole discretion of Marymount University. Courses from other regionally accredited institutions must be completed with a grade of C or better to be considered for transfer credit. The application of transferred course credits toward specific program requirements is determined by program directors, department chairs, or deans within each School.

Transfer applications are welcome at any stage of degree completion. To be considered for admission, a transfer applicant should have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0. Undergraduate credits older than 10 years are subject to review by the appropriate department to determine the timeliness of the content and methodologies. Marymount University does not normally accept for transfer equivalent community college specialized courses whose content appears comparable to junior- or senior-level courses at Marymount unless the applicant successfully completes validation exams.

Transferring Credit At Entry

The University accepts a maximum of 64 credit hours from a two-year institution. Applicants who have successfully completed junior-level coursework at a four-year institution may transfer up to 20 additional credit hours. No student may count more than 84 credit hours toward a degree. The residency requirement is a minimum of 36 credits completed at Marymount after matriculation.

If a student has more credits than the maximum that can be counted toward a degree, the student’s academic advisor will assist in identifying the credits most appropriately applied toward meeting degree requirements.

In addition to credits from regionally approved institutions, Marymount accepts College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) subject examination, International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level examination, and Advanced Placement (AP) credits. It also provides special challenge credits for diploma graduates in Nursing. As a member of Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC), Marymount also accepts DANTES credits. No more than 30 undergraduate credits can be earned by a Marymount student through any combination of CLEP, ACT/PEP, or DANTES examinations, validation examinations administered by the academic departments of the University, or assessment of portfolios of prior learning. None of these 30 credits may be used to complete the residency requirement for graduation from Marymount; however, they may be counted toward the maximum of 84 credits for a Marymount degree.

Transferring Credit After Entry

After entry, a student may transfer to Marymount University no more than two courses (up to 8 credits) from another institution. These courses are in addition to any courses taken through the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area and approved courses taken through Marymount’s Center for Global Education.

The following rules govern transfer credits after entry:

  • Such credits are counted as part of the maximum transfer credits, which may be counted toward a Marymount degree.
  • Prior written approval of the School dean is required in order for the courses to satisfy degree requirements and for credits to count toward a Marymount degree.
  • Forms for this purpose are available in each School office and in the Registrar’s Office.
  • Courses approved for transfer must be completed with a grade of C or better.
  • An official transcript must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar.
  • Approval will not be granted for courses to be taken during the last semester of the student’s enrollment.
  • Courses transferred after entry do not count toward the residency requirement.
  • Grades earned in courses after entry do not count in the student’s cumulative grade point average.
  • Grades earned in courses transferred after entry cannot replace grades earned in the equivalent Marymount University course.

Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Student Academic Policies

Unless otherwise noted, post-baccalaureate certificate students follow the same academic policies and procedures as undergraduate students at Marymount University.


It is University policy that students are expected to attend class. It is the prerogative of the individual instructor to establish requirements for class attendance. Students are responsible for complying with the instructor’s requirements. Without permission of an individual instructor, no test or class material will be repeated or rescheduled.

Prolonged illness or extraordinary circumstances such as a death in the family must be reported to the Office of Student Development, which notifies the student’s instructor of the absence. A student absent for a significant time should consult with the Center for Teaching and Learning before deciding to withdraw or continue.

Individuals not officially enrolled in a course offered by the University may not attend classes.

Classroom Code of Conduct

Marymount University expects all members of the community to be active participants who learn from others and contribute, in turn, to the learning of others. Therefore, all members of the community agree to work together in every academic activity to create an educational environment of responsibility, cooperation, respect, and civility.

To create such an environment, all members should contribute to the learning environment by arriving on time and leaving when dismissed. Repeatedly arriving late or departing early is not acceptable. Students who must arrive late or leave early from an individual class should notify the professor before the scheduled class and should enter and/or leave class with minimal disruption.

During class, all electronic devices — pagers, cell phones, players, and computers — should be shut off unless required in a class activity. Those whose work or family obligations require them to remain in contact should inform the instructor in advance and use the device’s least intrusive setting.

The classroom — both face-to-face and virtual — is a professional setting where appropriate behavior is expected. Every participant should focus on the educational activity and contribute to it. Electronic communication among participants should be conducted professionally. An instructor has the right to uphold these expectations through an attendance policy, a class participation grade, or other mechanism. A student whose behavior disrupts the educational environment can be asked to leave. Repeated and/or serious interruptions may be reported as violations of the Marymount University Community Conduct Code and investigated according to the Code’s procedures.

This policy describes a minimum standard of expected classroom behavior, and individual professors and/or programs may include additional expectations regarding student behavior in class and consequences for failing to meet such expectations. It is the professor’s responsibility to inform students of these expectations at the beginning of the semester, and the student’s responsibility to adapt his/her behavior to specific professors’ expectations.

Final Semester Enrollment

In the final semester before graduation, a student should not be enrolled in a study abroad, transfer, or consortium course. Grades from these courses cannot be guaranteed to arrive before the deadline for certifying graduates.

Graduate-level Coursework

Courses numbered 500 and above are not open to undergraduates, except by written permission of the appropriate advisor and the dean of the School. Such permission forms are available in each School. This policy includes students enrolled in bachelor’s/master’s programs and in the Honors Program, as these students must also secure written permission prior to enrollment in courses numbered 500 and above.

Academic-level Status

Academic-level status at Marymount is defined according to a student’s number of accumulated academic credits. The academic credits in which a student is currently enrolled are not counted in the accumulated total. Under this definition, students are classified as follows: freshman, 0 to 29 credits; sophomore, 30 to 59 credits; junior, 60 to 89 credits; senior, 90 or more credits. Students in bachelor’s/master’s degree programs should consult their program’s section in this catalog to learn when graduate student status becomes effective.

Academic Advising

Academic advising is one of many ways in which a student individually works with a faculty member. An advisee and advisor work collaboratively to develop and carry out an academic plan that meets the student’s professional and personal goals. The University values the advising relationship as a continuous dialogue from admission through graduation. This conversation encourages the student’s participation in the University community, the growth of ethical awareness, the fulfillment of program requirements, and the advancement of a career.

Students are responsible for

  • making decisions based upon their own best judgment and upon the best information or advice available to them;
  • arranging appointments with an advisor;
  • coming prepared to advising meetings;
  • knowing where to find information about their academic program;
  • understanding degree requirements;
  • being candid about personal reflection and self-awareness of goals, interests, needs, etc.; and
  • contacting an advisor when their academic performance falls below Marymount or program-specific standards.

Faculty are responsible for

  • taking the initiative to engage advisees in the academic planning process;
  • monitoring the academic progress of their advisees;
  • making referrals to support services and offices;
  • announcing and keeping regular, sufficient hours for consulting with advisees;
  • monitoring personal and professional progress; and
  • becoming aware of the whole person.

Each School is responsible for

  • implementing an advising model that matches the institution’s mission and the needs of all students;
  • encouraging the development of advising skills by promoting "best practices";
  • assigning students to an advisor, then communicating those assignments to advisors and advisees; and
  • evaluating faculty advisors to ensure continuous improvement.

The University is responsible for

  • promoting the central role of advising in the academic life of the community;
  • assuring that advising policies are clear, that advising procedures facilitate advisor and advisee relationships, and that advising resources are sufficient;
  • providing support and recognition for faculty advisors;
  • providing advisors and advisees with user-friendly information systems; and
  • assessing the advising program regularly.

Degree Planning

Each degree program in this catalog specifies the major course requirements necessary to earn a degree. Each student should pursue a degree at a pace that maximizes his or her opportunities for long-term success. Furthermore, some flexibility is required, as not every course is offered every semester. Consulting regularly with an academic advisor is the best way for a student to plan his or her degree program.

All minor and certificate programs include a list of courses required for fulfilling the desired program of studies. There may be a recommended or specified sequence of courses. Consulting with an academic advisor for program planning is recommended.

Students can monitor their progress toward degree completion through the program evaluation function in Marynet.

Required Proficiency

The University requires competence in basic skills in reading, writing, and mathematics. Any faculty member may refer a student judged to be unsatisfactory in these skills to the Center for Teaching and Learning for evaluation. At the discretion of the appropriate School dean, such a student may be required to undertake and successfully complete developmental study provided by the University in the skill area in which the student is deficient.

Evaluation of Students

The method of evaluation in each course is determined by the individual instructor. The final grade given for any course is based on the sum of evidence that the student gives the instructor, which demonstrates understanding and retention of the material presented in the course. In addition to formal examinations, the instructor may make use of recitation, term papers, written and oral quizzes, and participation in class and seminar discussions to determine the student’s grade. The grade is a symbol of a student’s degree of mastery of a course. The University requires that all written work submitted by students conform to standard English.

Undergraduate Grading Policies

The following is a brief explanation of the letter grades that may be further delineated by a plus sign (+), which is not used for A grades, or a minus sign (-). The numerical equivalent of letter grades is determined by the instructor and is approved by the dean of the School that offers the course. Undergraduate students permitted to enroll in graduate courses (500-level and above) should consult the University’s Graduate Catalog for graduate student grading policies.


Superior, outstanding scholarship and intellectual initiative.


High attainment and a notable degree of scholastic performance.


Satisfactory performance at an average level of college achievement. Indicates an understanding of the essential elements of a course. C is the minimum passing grade for courses in the major field in several Schools of the University. Students should refer to School requirements in the relevant sections of this catalog.


Deficient but passing. A grade of D indicates a bare minimum performance. A degree program determines whether its courses graded D count as prerequisites for advanced courses. A grade of D ordinarily is not transferable.


Passing grade. This grade carries no quality points and is not calculated in the grade point average.


Failure to meet minimal standards. Course must be repeated to obtain credit. (See Course Repeat Policy for further details.)


Incomplete work. An Incomplete is given at the discretion of the instructor and approval by the School dean when circumstances beyond the control of the student prevent the completion of some course requirements. A majority of coursework must be completed in order for an I to be given.


A student who receives a grade of I must complete the work in the time designated by the instructor. This time may be no longer than one semester. Students carrying a grade of I in the semester in which they petition to graduate must complete the outstanding work within the time designated by the instructor, but no later than 30 days after degrees are conferred in any given semester. The Incomplete must be removed by the end of the semester immediately following, including the summer semester. Failure to remove an Incomplete by the time specified will result in a failing grade. A student must then re-enroll and matriculate successfully in the course to obtain credit.


Authorized Withdrawal. A grade of W is given to a student who withdraws from a course up until the last date to withdraw with a grade of W or separates from the University after the last date to withdraw without academic record. The grade of W carries no credit or academic penalty. It is recorded on the permanent transcript.


Indicates that the course was audited and no credit or grade was received. An audit course is considered as a regular course for tuition payment and is entered on the transcript. A student must indicate that a course is to be audited at registration, and it may not be changed to a course for credit once it has been registered as an audited class. A student may not change from credit to audit after the last day to add or register as published in the Academic Calendar. Audited courses do not count toward degree or graduation requirements.


No grade reported.


The pass/fail option may not be chosen for Liberal Arts Core requirements or requirements in the major field other than the internship. The pass/fail option must be approved by the student’s advisor and dean. A student must indicate that a course is to be taken pass/fail at the time of registration and may not change this status after the last day to add a class.

Consortium Grading and Credit

Grades for consortium courses are sent to Marymount’s registrar by the visited institution. They are recorded as Marymount University credit and calculated into the Marymount University cumulative grade point average.

Grades are recorded onto the Marymount University grade report and transcript as soon as they are received. In most cases, this will be after regular Marymount credit has been posted. In such cases, students will need to request updated grade reports and transcripts.

Consortium credits are converted to Marymount University semester credits and count toward full-time/part-time status at Marymount University. If necessary, grades are converted to the nearest Marymount University equivalent.

Midterm Grades

At the end of the eighth academic week of each semester in the regular academic year, instructors submit interim grade reports online. This grade is not a part of the permanent record of the student but is used as an indicator of scholastic progress.

Midterm grades are an indication of the quality of the student’s performance at that point in the semester; they are not an indication or a guarantee of the student’s final grade in the course.

A student who wishes to earn a final grade that improves upon a grade received at the midterm should speak with his or her instructor and academic advisor.

Final Examinations

All courses are expected to include a final exam or comparable culminating experience. Final exams are scheduled during a final examination week, which is part of the required contact time for every course. Students should not make travel arrangements prior to determining their final examination schedule because instructors may not schedule alternative or individual examinations in place of the course final exam. The final exam schedule can be found on the Registrar’s Office website. Visit, search Registrar.

Assessment of Learning Outcomes

At Marymount University, faculty strive to improve the curriculum and teaching by assessing student learning. Each academic major of the University has identified learning outcomes and evaluates the extent to which students achieve them. Additionally, faculty assess student mastery of the core competencies. Various measures are used depending upon the nature of the program: comprehensive examinations, theses, portfolio submissions, examples of student work, and/or standardized professional board examinations. The results of these measures are used by faculty to continually improve and strengthen the University’s programs.

Individuals interested in additional information can contact the Office of Institutional Effectiveness.

Cumulative Grade Point Average

The cumulative grade point average is determined by dividing the number of quality points a student has earned by the number of measurable credits of work. Quality points per credit are as follows:


Quality points

























Minimum Grade and Course Repeat Policy

Degree- and Certificate-Seeking Students

Degree- and certificate-seeking students are expected to maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.0, and are subject to review each semester by the Undergraduate Academic Standards Committee.

Each department determines the minimum grade for a course to complete a Liberal Arts Core or major requirement. Students who do not meet the minimum grade for a course may repeat the course. A student may repeat a completed course under the following criteria:

  • if the course is retaken at Marymount, the course must be identical in listing;
  • the second time the course is taken at Marymount, the course cannot be taken pass/fail;
  • if taken for a second time at Marymount, both courses and grades will be recorded in the student’s file and transcript;
  • for calculation of the cumulative grade point average and for fulfillment of curriculum requirements, only the credit and grade of the course with the higher grade will apply, and the credit and grade of the course with the lower grade will no longer count;
  • the course may not be taken a third time at Marymount. It can only be repeated for a third time at another institution, and the Marymount grade will not be replaced in the GPA calculation;
  • if a course in a field of concentration is not successfully completed the second time, the student may not be permitted to continue in the concentration;
  • an undergraduate course with a grade of C or better may not be repeated unless a degree or certificate requirement demands a grade higher than C.

This policy is limited to 16 hours of coursework.

Any appeals to the policy will be handled at the department level with approval from the dean.

Nondegree Students

Nondegree students are expected to maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.0. When a nondegree student attains degree status, the student’s record is reviewed by the Undergraduate Academic Standards Committee.

Courses completed with a grade below C may be unacceptable dependent upon specific requirements within the student’s program of study.

Academic Honors

Dean’s List

The Dean’s List is comprised of the names of those undergraduate students who carry a full academic load for a given semester, are in good academic standing, and obtain a grade point average of at least 3.4. For this purpose, a full academic load will be considered 12 undergraduate credits or more. Graduate courses are not considered in Dean’s List calculations. This list is published soon after completion of the semester; therefore, students with Incompletes will not be listed. A Dean’s List notation is made on the transcript for each semester it is awarded.

Honor Societies

Alpha Phi Sigma National Society in Criminal Justice. Beta Psi, the Marymount chapter of Alpha Phi Sigma, is for undergraduate students in Criminal Justice. The honor society is dedicated to making the criminal justice professions and their practitioners more effective, and encouraging research and the application of scientific principles within criminal justice fields. Students must have completed at least 12 credit hours in Criminal Justice and maintain a 3.0 overall grade point average and a 3.5 in Criminal Justice courses.

Beta Beta Beta National Biology Honor Society, also known as the Tri Beta honor society, is dedicated to overall academic excellence with special emphasis on Biology. Tri Beta honor students are strongly encouraged to pursue undergraduate research opportunities. This honor society is open to Biology undergraduates who meet the membership requirements, which can be obtained from the Biology and Physical Sciences Department.

Delta Epsilon Sigma National Scholastic Honor Society is open to both undergraduate and graduate students. Undergraduate students must have completed 50 percent of their requirements with at least a 3.5 grade point average. Graduate students must have completed 50 percent of their requirements with at least a 3.75 grade point average. In addition, exhibition of good character, intellectual activities, and leadership promise are necessary for admission.

Delta Mu Delta National Honor Society in Business Administration is open to qualified juniors, seniors, and graduate students in the B.B.A. and M.B.A. programs. To be eligible, undergraduate students must have completed at least 60 credits, including 30 credits in Business Administration courses (21 credits at Marymount University for transfer students) with a Business Administration cumulative grade point average of 3.5 and an overall grade point average of 3.5. Graduate students must have completed at least 75 percent of their Marymount University graduate degree program with a cumulative grade point average of 3.8. In addition to the regular October Induction Ceremony, a May Ceremony is held for graduating students who are eligible at the end of the spring semester.

Kappa Delta Pi is an international honor society in Education dedicated to those demonstrating high academic achievement, a commitment to education as a career, and a professional attitude that assures steady growth in the field. Membership is open to graduate students, undergraduates, and exceptional local leaders in education. Undergraduate students must have completed, or be enrolled in, 12 hours of Education courses, be accepted into the teacher-education program, and have a minimum overall 3.0 GPA. Graduate students must have completed 12 hours of Education coursework, be fully accepted into the teacher-education program, and have a minimum 3.5 graduate GPA.

Lambda Epsilon Chi (LEX) is a national honor society in Paralegal Studies. To be eligible, students must have completed at least two-thirds of the program requirements and must demonstrate superior academic performance, which is evidenced by a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or higher and a recognizable indication of superior academic achievement to members of the legal profession in the local area.

Omicron Delta Epsilon is the Economics honor society, accredited by the Association of College Honor Societies. Its objectives are the recognition of scholarship attainment and the promotion of closer ties between students and faculty within colleges and universities. To be eligible for membership, a student must have completed 12 or more credits in Economics with a 3.0 cumulative GPA in Economics courses and a 3.0 overall cumulative GPA, and have a genuine interest in economics. Transfer students must have completed at least 6 credits in Economics at Marymount with a 3.0 GPA in those courses.

Phi Alpha Theta is the national History honor society. To be eligible, students must have completed at least 12 credit hours in History and maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 (3.1 in History courses). Members are selected annually by the History faculty.

Psi Chi National Honor Society in Psychology is open to Psychology students, who have completed at least 12 semester credits (or 9 and be registered for 3) of Psychology courses. Undergraduate Psychology students must have a minimum 3.5 grade point average in their Psychology courses and a minimum 3.0 overall GPA. Graduate students must have a GPA of 3.5 or better. Students in good standing receive a card and certificate of membership.

Sigma Tau Delta is an international honor society for students majoring or minoring in English. Membership is open to both undergraduate and graduate students. To be eligible for membership, undergraduates must have completed at least 12 credits in English beyond the freshman composition level and have an overall GPA of 3.5. Graduate students must have completed at least 9 credits in their graduate program and have a GPA of 3.7.

Sigma Theta Tau, the international honor society in Nursing, is open to Nursing students if they have completed one half of their coursework leading to the bachelor’s degree, have at least a 3.0 grade point average in the Nursing major, and rank in the top third of their class. Students should demonstrate their ability in Nursing both academically and clinically and should exhibit overall leadership qualities. Graduate students must have completed one quarter of their coursework leading to the graduate degree, have at least a 3.5 GPA, and demonstrate academic integrity.

Upsilon Pi Epsilon, the Information Technology honor society, is open to both undergraduate and graduate students. To be eligible, undergraduate students must have completed at least 54 credits, including at least 15 credits in Information Technology (IT) coursework. Eligible students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 and a minimum GPA of 3.3 in IT courses. In addition, eligible students must be in the top 35 percent of their class.

Graduation Honors

Students fulfilling requirements for a bachelor’s degree will be graduated with honors if they have completed a minimum of 60 credits at Marymount University and their cumulative grade point average meets or exceeds the following:

  • 3.8 summa cum laude (with highest honors)
  • 3.6 magna cum laude (with high honors)
  • 3.4 cum laude (with honors)

The grade point average is not rounded when calculating honors.

Graduation Awards

The Mother Butler Gold Medal, awarded by the faculty to the graduating student who has shown the greatest devotion to the ideals of Marymount.

The Bishop Ireton Gold Medal, presented to the graduating student who has had the greatest influence of good on his or her companions. The recipient is selected by the graduating baccalaureate class.

The Mother Gerard Phelan Gold Medal, traditionally presented at Commencement to a woman noted for achievement of an exemplary nature.

The Sister Majella Berg Service Award, presented to the graduating student who has made the most significant contribution in the area of community service in the Greater Washington metropolitan region.

Students Pursuing a Double Major or Dual Degrees

A student who elects to pursue a double major must complete all required coursework for each program to ensure achievement of all learning outcomes, completing at least 120 credit hours.

A student who elects to pursue dual degrees must complete at least 120 hours for the first degree, an additional minimum of 36 hours for the second degree, and required coursework for each degree.

A student electing a double major or dual degrees must file the appropriate form and secure an advisor in each program or degree.

The University cannot guarantee availability of all course requirements without scheduling conflicts when pursuing a double major or dual degree.

Students Enrolled in Bachelor’s/Master’s Programs

Some programs allow students to accelerate their studies toward completion of their master’s degree by offering a combined bachelor’s/master’s program. Learning outcomes for both programs will be achieved by students. Criteria for acceptance into these programs are specified by the individual Schools and programs.

Students Pursuing a Minor

A minor normally requires 15-21 credit hours in a field outside the major. Available minors are listed in each School’s section of this catalog. A student electing a minor must file the appropriate form from the School offering the minor and secure an advisor in that program. The University cannot guarantee the availability of all course requirements without scheduling conflicts when a student pursues both a minor and a major field of study.

Change of Major

Requests for a change of academic program must be made in writing. Forms for this purpose may be obtained in School offices. Only degree-seeking students may complete this form. A request for program change must be approved by the dean of the School housing the requested program. A nondegree student must reapply through the Office of Admissions to become a degree-seeking student.

Students who change their major must meet the requirements outlined in the University Catalog in effect at the time of the declaration of the new major. This policy also applies to students who were in undeclared status and then declare a major.

Requirements for Graduation

The Bachelor’s Degree

The bachelor’s degree is awarded to students meeting the following requirements (or their equivalent in transferred credits in the case of transfer students):

  • completion of all course requirements with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0; and
  • earn a minimum of 120 credits by completing:
    • all Liberal Arts Core and University requirements;
    • all requirements imposed by the School in which the student is enrolled and that are different from Liberal Arts Core and University requirements; and
    • all major requirements.

NOTE: The following courses do not count toward a degree or fulfill any graduation requirements: EN 090 Introduction to College Reading, MA 019W Quantitative Reasoning Workshop, MA 094 Quantitative Reasoning, and MA 095 Intermediate Algebra.

In order to participate in Commencement ceremonies, a student must be receiving a degree during the spring or upcoming summer semester or have received a degree within the last academic year.

The Post-baccalaureate Certificate

A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better must be obtained for the awarding of any post-baccalaureate certificate.

Students being awarded a post-baccalaureate certificate do not participate in Commencement ceremonies.

The Undergraduate Certificate

A cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better must be obtained for the awarding of any undergraduate certificate.

Students being awarded an undergraduate certificate do not participate in Commencement ceremonies.

General Requirements

Academic certification: Certification for graduation by a student’s dean and the registrar must be obtained prior to the University Commencement.

Completion requirement: For an undergraduate degree, all coursework must be completed at Marymount University within 10 years of the date of matriculation.

Documentation: All final documentation must be received by the Office of the Registrar prior to the deadline for submitting grades. Documentation includes such items as official transcripts, test scores, completion of Incompletes, and grade changes. A graduation petition must be received by the Office of the Registrar by the posted deadline.

Financial obligations: All financial obligations must be met prior to the University Commencement. These include parking fines, credit holds, tuition, etc.

Minimum grade point average (GPA): A cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better must be obtained for the awarding of any undergraduate degree or undergraduate certificate. This cumulative GPA applies to Marymount University coursework.

Program requirements: The total number of credits required to earn a degree varies by program. Please consult individual program sections in this catalog. Marymount University requires successful completion of all Liberal Arts Core and University requirements as well as major coursework associated with a student’s degree program. The requirements to be met are stated in the University catalog current at the time of the student’s initial matriculation or declaration of a major. Transfer students must complete all courses noted on their transfer evaluation and program of study. This includes attaining minimum grades for courses as stipulated in other sections of this catalog.

A student who cannot fulfill the requirements of a major program successfully will be dismissed from the program. If the student is otherwise in good academic standing, the student may remain at the University by selecting another major program.

Residency requirements: For the bachelor’s degree, students must complete a minimum of 36 credits as a student at Marymount.

Graduation and Commencement

Degrees are conferred in May, August, and December. There is one formal Commencement ceremony in May.

A student must file a graduation petition form (available in the Registrar’s Office or on the Registrar’s Office Web page) by the deadline posted on the Registrar’s Office Web page. Visit, search Registrar. NOTE: The completion of a graduation petition does not guarantee that a student will graduate. A student’s degree audit will be completed by the School in which the student is matriculated once a student petitions to graduate. The degree audit will determine if a student is eligible to graduate.

Graduation petitions submitted after the posted deadline will be processed at the discretion of the University and are subject to a late processing fee. Students who submit the petition after the published deadline may not receive their diplomas at the close of the semester, may not graduate until the next graduation date, and — in the spring semester — may not be listed in the Commencement program. A student who submits a late petition may not be eligible to participate in Commencement exercises if a full audit of the student’s record cannot be processed to confirm eligibility.

A student who does not meet graduation requirements at the end of the semester in which a graduation petition was filed will automatically have his or her petition moved to the next semester. For any delays beyond one semester, the student must file a new petition and indicate the new anticipated graduation date.

Students graduating at the completion of any term are encouraged to participate in the subsequent Commencement exercise and should contact the Office of the Registrar for instructions.

Students who need to take no more than two courses (up to 8 credits) during the summer semester to complete their degree requirements may participate in the May Commencement exercises if they meet both of the following conditions:

  1. complete a petition for graduation by the designated deadline; and
  2. complete and have signed by their dean a Course Completion Plan. The plan must specify all remaining requirements and in which prescribed session(s) in the summer semester immediately following Commencement the student intends to complete the work. The Course Completion Plan must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the graduation petition deadline.

No exceptions or exemptions to these two conditions will be made or given.


Diplomas for May graduates are issued during the Commencement ceremonies provided the graduation petition has been submitted to the Registrar’s Office by the posted deadline. Diplomas for August and December graduates are mailed by the Registrar’s Office at the close of the summer and fall semester provided the graduation petition has been submitted in a timely manner.

Diplomas are issued in the student’s name as it appears in official University records. Diplomas are mailed at no charge. Diplomas are withheld from students who have unsettled obligations to the University.

Students who participate in the Commencement with a projected date of completion in the summer following will not receive the diploma at Commencement; the diploma will be awarded only after all program requirements are completed.

Diploma Replacement Policy

A replacement diploma in the name of the student as it appeared at the original time of issue will be provided upon written request by the student, return of the damaged diploma if possible, and payment of a $90 replacement fee. The replacement will include appropriate dates, signatures, and notations where possible. If the student’s name has been legally changed by marriage or court order, a new diploma may be issued upon written request. This request must include legal proof of change, payment of the fee, and return of the original diploma.


Official transcripts of courses and credits will be forwarded by the Office of the Registrar to other educational institutions, agencies, or firms upon signed, written request by the student.

Requests for transcripts will be processed usually within five working days; however, during registration and immediately following the end of a semester there may be a delay up to two weeks. In the event of unsettled obligations to the University, transcripts will be withheld.

Same-day service is available for a fee, payable in advance.

Unofficial transcripts are available to current students via Marynet.

Medical Leave Policy

A student who experiences an extended illness or medical emergency that causes absence from classes for more than three days should contact the Office of Student Development, which will notify instructors of the student’s absence. If a student’s condition is serious enough to prevent the student from completing the semester, advice regarding the student’s options should be sought from the Center for Teaching and Learning prior to withdrawing from courses.

A student who cannot continue enrollment may request a medical leave. A medical leave means that the student will be withdrawn from all courses in which the student is enrolled that semester and unregistered for courses for subsequent semesters. If the withdrawal occurs after the deadline to drop, the student receives a W on the transcript.

To receive a medical leave, a student must

  • submit a written request to the associate vice president for Academic Affairs (contact the Center for Teaching and Learning for instructions and forms);
  • submit documentation from a licensed clinician (not a family member) that attests to the medical necessity for withdrawal;
  • submit the request no later than 15 days after the last day of the semester to which the request applies; and
  • not have taken any final examinations.

A student who receives a medical leave must submit a letter of intent to resume studies prior to the start of the next semester. The University may require documentation that the illness or emergency has been resolved before allowing re-enrollment.

Students Called to Military Duty

In accordance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act, Marymount University will readmit students who take a leave of absence to perform active military service and also meet the requirements defined in the act.

Furthermore, Marymount University appreciates the situation of students who attend classes while maintaining a military obligation. All administrative offices and academic departments at the University will do their utmost to accommodate those students called to active military duty while enrolled in classes. The University’s goal is to make the transition as efficient, equitable, and expeditious as possible.

After consultation with instructors and the academic advisor, a student may choose one of three options:

Under the withdrawal option, the student will receive a complete refund of tuition and fees if he or she withdraws from all classes. If a student withdraws from some, but not all classes, tuition will be reassessed according to full- or part-time status.

If the student elects to receive an Incomplete, the student must discuss arrangements for completion of coursework with the instructor; the arrangement must clearly state the work completed and graded, and the work remaining. The instructor, in turn, will complete and send to the Registrar’s Office the appropriate form. The deadline for completion of an Incomplete is six months after re-enrollment at the University.

With instructor approval, a student may wish to elect the option of earning a grade if he or she has already completed most of the coursework and can accelerate remaining assignments prior to departure from the University.

The student should make the desired option known to the dean of the School in which he or she is enrolled.

A student who is called to active duty must provide documentation of his or her orders to the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. A student who intends to return to the University should submit a Continuous Registration written request to the Registrar’s Office. A student who returns to the University within two calendar years of the call to duty and presents documentation of military service is considered to have maintained Continuous Registration.

Academic Standing

It is expected that students — full time and part time — will make continuous progress toward a degree in a timely manner. The University — through the Undergraduate Academic Standards Committee — monitors academic progress and takes action when a student is no longer in good academic standing. A student can determine his or her academic standing by checking his or her grade point average.

A student is subject to academic action after 12 completed credits. Part-time students must meet the same academic standards as full-time students.

Categories of Academic Standing

At Marymount, there are five categories of academic standing for undergraduate students:

Good Standing: A student whose cumulative grade point average (GPA) is at 2.00 or higher is in good standing.

Academic Warning: An academic warning is issued under the following circumstances:

  • a student with 60 credits or fewer whose cumulative GPA is between 1.50 and 1.99
  • a student with 61 credits or more whose cumulative GPA is between 1.75 and 1.99

A student on academic warning completes an Academic Improvement Plan at the start of the next semester. The student identifies strategies for returning to good academic standing and gets approval for the plan from the academic advisor.

Academic Probation: Probation is activated under the following circumstances:

  • a student with 60 credits or fewer whose cumulative GPA is below 1.50
  • a student with 61 credits or more whose cumulative GPA is below 1.75

While on probation a student works with an academic coach to achieve the goals of the academic contract that sets specific expectations for successful academic behaviors.

Academic Leave: A student facing academic probation may first elect to take academic leave for a fall or spring semester to address factors that prevent academic success. The student returns on academic probation.

Dismissal: A student is dismissed from the University after a probation semester if the student’s probation-semester GPA did not meet the goal stated in the contract. There is no appeal of dismissal, but a dismissal may be reversed if and when a grade change (or changes) raises the student’s GPA above the minimum. A student who has been dismissed can only return to the University through the readmission process.

Seeking Readmission to the University

Students who have been academically dismissed or left the University while on academic probation may seek readmission to the University after waiting at least one full fall or spring semester after the last semester of enrollment.

In seeking readmission, the student must do the following:

1. Contact the Center for Teaching and Learning for a readmission application packet.

2. Submit the completed packet including a $40 nonrefundable application fee. When necessary, the packet should include documentation that any problems previously causing academic difficulties have been addressed. The deadlines for submission of this packet are as follows:


For readmission to

July 15

Fall semester

November 15

Spring semester

March 15

First summer session

May 15

Second summer session

Readmission applications must include evidence of satisfactory academic efforts (9-12 credits with an average of B in courses at a two-year institution) in the time he or she has been separated from the University. The Committee will not review applications that do not demonstrate academic success.

3. Seek a positive recommendation from the program chair to which he or she is seeking re-entry. Students who do not receive a positive recommendation from their previous program may be readmitted as an undeclared major and be advised by the Center for Teaching and Learning until a new major is declared.

Students who have been readmitted to the University after three or more semesters since academic dismissal will return to the University under the procedures listed in the catalog in force at the time of their readmission and must meet the requirements of their degree program stated in that catalog.

Academic Suspension

A student who is found responsible, after due process, for a serious breach of academic regulations may be assigned academic suspension.

A student suspended for an academic reason cannot attend the next fall or spring semester. A student on suspension may not attend any intervening summer or interim semester.

A suspended student returns to the University without a reinstatement process.

While on suspension, a student may not

  • have a Marymount ID card;
  • have a Marymount email account;
  • use University support services;
  • participate in University activities;
  • receive academic advising; or
  • participate in registration for a future semester.

Student Grievance Process

A student who has a complaint or grievance should bring it forward promptly for resolution.

If the matter concerns a final grade for a course, a student should attempt to resolve it informally in discussions with the instructor of record. A final grade is reviewed only when there is a question whether the grade was calculated in accordance with the requirements and grading procedures stated in the course syllabus. A complaint that is not resolved informally between a student and an instructor should be referred first to the appropriate department chairperson and, if still unresolved, to the School dean. The decision of the School dean is final. Problems involving course grades must be brought forward within 45 days of the end of the semester in which the grade was earned.

A student who has an academic grievance other than a grade should attempt to resolve it informally in discussions with the appropriate instructor, faculty member, or his/her advisor. A complaint that is not resolved informally between a student and a faculty member is to be referred to the appropriate department chairperson. If not resolved, the complaint may be taken to the School dean. The decision of the School dean regarding the issue or issues of concern is final. For consideration, a student should bring forward a complaint or problem no later than 45 days from the end of the semester in which the concern occurred.

Nonacademic complaints should be addressed to the department or office in which the problem originated. Complaints not resolved at this level may be referred to the supervisor for that office. If the student is not satisfied with the resolution of the problem by the supervisor, he or she may refer the concern to the office of the vice president who supervises the area in which the complaint originated. The decision of the vice president for that area regarding the issue or issues of concern is final. This policy applies to oral and written complaints.

Catalog Contents

Undergraduate Catalog 2012-13

General Information


Financial Information

Academic Support Services

Academic Information and Policies

University Requirements and the Liberal Arts Core

Academic Opportunities

Undergraduate Programs

Course Descriptions

University Leadership

Notices to Students