Marymount University

Undergraduate Catalog 2016-17

Financial Information

The following financial information applies to the 2016-17 academic year.


Undergraduate Student Rate



(12-18 credit hours, August-May)

$14,450 per semester


$28,900 per academic year




(1-11 credit hours)

$940 per credit hour



19 or more credit hours

$940 per credit hour



Those enrolled in combined
bachelor’s/master’s programs

$940 per credit hour for the fifth and subsequent years of graduate study



Summer Session 2017 classes

$940 per credit hour

Consortium Tuition

Payment for consortium credits is due at the time of registration. Marymount consortium students pay the Marymount tuition rate to the Marymount Student Accounts Office. Credits taken through the consortium are counted toward full-time/part-time status at Marymount for the purposes of financial aid. All applicable fees are to be paid by the student to the visited institution.

Refunds and credits to accounts for consortium courses follow the Marymount refund schedule.

Tuition Payment

Due Dates

Fall Semester

August 8, 2016

Spring Semester

January 3, 2017

Summer Sessions I and III

May 8, 2017

Summer Session II

June 19, 2017

Monthly late payment fees of $75 will be assessed to all delinquent accounts. All payments must be made in U.S. currency and drawn on U.S. banks. Marymount University accepts cash, checks, money orders, credit cards (American Express, MasterCard or Visa only; credit card payments can be made online through Marynet), and ACH (Automated Clearing House) electronic transfers. Do not mail cash. Checks and money orders must be made payable to Marymount University. All checks and money orders must include the student’s ID number, address, and phone number on the face of the check. All returned checks are subject to a $55 service fee.

If, for any reason, a parent, a guardian, an employer, or an embassy does not honor their financial obligation to the university on behalf of a student, the student will be held responsible for those financial obligations.

A student’s pending class registration is subject to cancellation if there is a prior-term unpaid balance on the student’s account.

In the event that students have questions about charges on their accounts, they should bring the amount in question to the attention of the Student Accounts Office. Students do not have to pay that amount while it is being reviewed. However, they are obligated to pay all parts of the bill that are not in question no later than the due date.

Address Changes

It is the responsibility of students to keep the Registrar’s Office informed of any changes in their home, local residence and/or billing address; phone number; and/or email address. A student may submit a change in one of these ways:

  • through Marynet by clicking on "address change" under the student's academic profile
  • through the form available on the Registrar’s Office website
  • by email to
  • by mail to Marymount University, Office of the Registrar, 2807 N. Glebe Road, Arlington, VA 22207
  • by fax to (703) 516-4505

When submitting the change by email, mail, or fax, students should include their full name; student ID number; the former address; the new address for home, local residence, and billing purposes; a current email address; and their signature.


Catholic School Employees

Employees of Catholic schools specified by the university are eligible for a 50% tuition waiver on the regular rate for undergraduate education programs (waiver does not apply to reduced-tuition programs) under the following conditions:

  • The individual must be employed on a full-time basis in a position in teaching, senior administration, and/or school counseling.
  • The individual must be employed by a diocesan school in the Diocese of Arlington, Virginia, or Archdiocese of Washington, DC. To learn about other Catholic schools specified for eligibility under this program, contact the School of Education and Human Services.
  • Requests for additional courses and/or programs covered under this waiver after the first degree is obtained will be considered on an individual basis.
  • Verification from the employee’s school, written by the principal on school letterhead, attesting to the individual’s eligibility for a waiver must be provided at the beginning of the program and each year thereafter at the beginning of the fall semester. This verification must be sent to Marymount’s Student Accounts Office.


When a first member of a family pays full-time undergraduate tuition, any additional immediate family members concurrently enrolled in a full-time undergraduate program may receive a 25% tuition waiver. Immediate family is defined as siblings, parents and dependent children, or married couples. The full-time enrollment of concurrent family members is required for the entire semester.

Senior Citizens

As a service to senior citizens, the university offers to persons 65 years or older a 50% tuition waiver for undergraduate and graduate courses. Applicants must first meet all regular admission criteria for either degree candidacy or nondegree status.

See the Graduate Catalog for details about this policy regarding the university’s graduate programs.


Room and Board

  • Housing options, information, and rates are available through the Office of Campus and Residential Services and online. Visit "Undergraduate Students" under "Student Life" on the Marymount website.
  • University housing is not available without a resident board plan; meal plan options are available.

Commuter Meal Plans

For information regarding commuter meal plans, contact the Office of Campus and Residential Services at (703) 284-1608 or visit

New Student Fee

A one-time new student fee is assessed for all degree- and certificate-seeking students in their first semester. All new students will pay this fee to cover such items as student ID cards, orientation, new student programs, regular transcript requests, graduation fees (except late petition fees), and continuous and late registration fees. Students entering in the fall, spring, or summer will be assessed this fee as follows:

  • First-college first-year students: $430
  • Transfer students: $270

A degree-seeking student who previously attended Marymount will be charged the Transfer Student Fee upon re-enrollment.

Student Government Activity Fee

All full-time undergraduate students pay a Student Government Activity Fee of $100 per semester ($200 per academic year).

Technology Fee

Students will be assessed a Technology Fee each fall, spring, and summer semester of $10 per credit up to a maximum of $125 per semester. This fee supports technologies that enrich the learning environment. The following are some examples of services and initiatives funded by this fee: computer labs, updates to the course management system, expanded on-campus wireless access, and help desk services. In addition, some courses require that students purchase stand-alone computer software and/or textbook software packages.

Course/Program Fees

Some programs require additional fees for specified coursework or activities. Visit for a current list of such fees.

Alumni Course Audit Fee

For a fee of $290 per course, Marymount alumni may audit up to two courses per semester, if the enrollment limit has not been reached during registration and approval has been granted by the associate dean. No credit or grade will be awarded for the course. Interested alumni should contact the Office of Alumni Relations at (703) 284-1541 or visit and see Alumni Benefits for details.


New Resident Students

For new undergraduate students who are 23 years of age or younger and entering in the fall semester with fewer than 60 transferable credits, a nonrefundable $300 enrollment fee is required by May 1 to reserve a place in a residence hall and to confirm an intention to enroll. For those students entering residence halls in the spring semester, a nonrefundable $300 enrollment fee is required by November 1.

Transfer students who are 23 years of age or younger entering with 60 or more transferable credits will be accommodated in student housing on a space-available basis. If space is available, a nonrefundable $300 enrollment fee is required by June 15 to reserve a place for the fall semester and by December 1 for the spring semester.

If housing is available after the deposit deadlines, applicants must make the deposit within 15 days of acceptance.

New Commuter Students

A nonrefundable $300 enrollment fee is required from first-year and transfer commuter students to confirm an intention to enroll.


All full-time Marymount students are required to have health insurance. The university offers a comprehensive health insurance plan in accordance with the Affordable Care Act. Students can enroll by submitting an enrollment form found at Students who have enrolled into the plan previously must re-enroll by submitting an enrollment form at the start of each academic year.

Students may waive the university comprehensive health insurance plan if they have adequate coverage that will allow them to see a health care provider in Maryland, the District of Columbia, or the Commonwealth of Virginia. If a waiver is not submitted online by the specified deadline, the student will automatically be enrolled in the coverage and charged a fee for the premium. Waivers will not be accepted after the deadline.

Part-time students who need health insurance may wish to research various health insurance options at

For further information, visit the Student Health Center (SHC) website at or call (703) 284-1610. Students who have missed the enrollment deadlines may contact the SHC directly to be enrolled.

Collection Policy

Students who fail to pay in full as scheduled will have their transcripts, registration, degree, and diploma withheld until the outstanding balance is paid in full. The university will make every effort to contact the student and collect the outstanding balance. However, if the university’s attempts are unsuccessful, the account will be turned over to an agency for collection and also be reported to the credit bureau. The student will be responsible for all costs, including collection agency fees up to 331/3% on the assigned balance. The account could also be subject to possible attorney fees and variable court costs.

Refunds and Credits to Student Accounts

Credit Balance Refunds

Credit balance refunds will be processed generally within 14 days. The university does not issue refunds in cash; only check and credit card refunds are issued.

Credit for Tuition and Fee Charges

To be eligible to receive a credit for tuition and fee charges, a student must officially withdraw from a class or separate from the university. Credit for tuition and fee charges will be calculated based on the actual withdrawal or separation date as follows:

Semester Courses



Type of Credit

By end of week 1


Tuition and fees

By end of week 2


Tuition only

By end of week 3


Tuition only

After week 3



Summer Courses



Type of Credit

SS I: From the 1st day of class until the day before the 4th day of class


Tuition and fees

SS II: From the 1st day of class until the day before the 3rd day of class


Tuition and fees

SS III: From the 1st day of class until the day before the 6th day of class


Tuition and fees

SS III: From the 6th day of class until the day before the 12th day of class


Tuition only

SS III: From the 12th day of class until the day before the 16th day of class


Tuition only

SS III: On and after the 16th day of class



Weekend and Concentrated Courses



Type of Credit

Within 31 days before class begins


Tuition and fees

30 days before class begins through first day of class


Tuition and fees

First day of class and thereafter



Class/University Withdrawal Policy

In order to receive a credit for tuition and fee charges in accordance with the advertised refund/withdrawal period, students must officially withdraw from a class, even if someone else registered them for the class. Failure to do so will constitute a financial obligation to the university because classroom seats reserved during registration continue to be held for students until they officially withdraw from the class. Stopping payment on a tuition check or credit card authorization or not attending a class does not constitute an official withdrawal from class.

A student who received financial aid should check with the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing from any classes. Federal financial aid recipient refunds will be determined based on the federal pro-rata refund regulations. Information and examples of federal pro-rata refunds are available in the Financial Aid Office.

See Adding, Dropping, or Withdrawing from Courses/Separating from the University for procedural information about withdrawing from a class or separating from the university.

Withdrawal After Expiration of Tuition-and-Fee Credit Period

A student who withdraws from one or all classes after the tuition-and-fee credit period does not qualify for a refund. An exception to this policy may be made in extraordinary circumstances such as an illness or medical emergency that qualifies the student for a medical leave.

See Medical Leave Policy and Requests for Exceptions to Academic Policies for further information, or contact the Office of Academic Affairs.

Credit for Room and Board Charges

If a student moves out of the residence halls before the end of the semester, credit for room and board may be available as outlined in the housing license agreement. Appeals of any charges must be submitted in writing to the Office of Campus and Residential Services during the semester the student departs the residence halls.

Credit for Commuter Meal Plan Charges

Credits are not available for commuter meal plans. Students should also note that plans expire at the end of each semester.

Payment Plans

A payment plan is available to qualifying students. All arrangements, including the initial payment, must be completed at least one week prior to the payment due date. Students may set up pay plans on an annual basis for the academic year (fall and spring) or by the semester. Whether selecting either the annual or by-semester plan, payments are made as follows:

  • For the fall semester, payments may begin as early as August 1 and must be paid in full by December 1.
  • For the spring semester, payments may begin as early as January 1 and must be paid in full by May 1. Call (800) 635-0120 or visit the tuition payment plan website at for further information.
  • For the summer semester, contact Student Accounts at (703) 284-1490.

All or part of each semester’s costs may be budgeted with no interest rate assessed. A nonrefundable enrollment fee of $55 is required to apply for the annual plan. Individual semester plans require a nonrefundable enrollment fee between $35 and $55.

Students who need further assistance may call the Student Accounts Office at (703) 284-1490.


The Office of Military and Veteran Student Services at Marymount University provides Active Duty, Veteran, and Reserve service members as well as their families with information and financial resources that promote academic and personal success. Additional information on opportunities for veterans and military service members, including VA benefits, is available by contacting or (703) 284-1521.

Financial Aid

The Marymount University program of financial aid attempts to help those students who have academic potential and limited financial resources. In addition, scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate outstanding academic potential and performance, with financial need considered but not a prerequisite.

The objective of all federal and most state aid programs is to provide opportunities for those who would not be able to complete their college education without financial assistance. Certain states, such as the Commonwealth of Virginia, award grants without regard to financial need to those students who apply and can prove state residence.

Eligibility for Need-based Aid

Financial aid is any grant, scholarship, loan, or paid employment offered for the express purpose of helping a student meet educationally related expenses. Determining how much financial aid a student will receive is calculated in the following manner:

  1. The budget for a student’s academic year living and educational expenses is determined, taking into account factors such as residence, enrollment, and dependence.
  2. The expected contribution by the student and family toward the student’s yearly expenses is determined through a federal formula.
  3. The resources contributed by the student and family are subtracted from the budget, and the remaining amount is referred to as the student’s "financial need."

Financial Aid Application Procedure

Students seeking financial aid through grants, loans, Federal Work-Study, and scholarships that require the filing of a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) should follow these steps to apply:

  1. Complete the FAFSA online at The FAFSA must be completed by both new and currently enrolled undergraduate students for each year they seek financial aid. The information is analyzed and a report is sent to the university on the estimated contribution expected from the family or the self-supporting student. Marymount’s federal school code is 003724.
  2. Financial aid applications must be submitted by March 1 for each academic year in which financial assistance is sought.

Awards are offered when applications are complete and the student has been accepted for enrollment into a degree program.

Types of Aid


The Federal Pell Grant program provides federal gift aid for students. The grants range from $400 to $5,645 a year based on enrollment status. Eligibility is determined by the federal government. A student applies for this grant by following the financial aid application procedures. Repayment is not required.

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is a grant for eligible full-time undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need. For qualified students, grants can be awarded up to $4,000 per academic year. Students must follow financial aid application procedures to apply.

Marymount Tuition Assistance Grants are sponsored by the university to make education affordable for as many full-time, first-degree undergraduate students as possible. To apply, students must follow financial aid application procedures. Awards are based on an indication of financial need.

The Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG) Program, not based on financial need, is available to all legal Virginia residents who are full-time students. The amount of the award varies each academic year based on state funding. Awards will be made by the commonwealth to students who file their applications by July 31. Repayment is not required. Late applications will be considered if funds are available. For further information, contact the Financial Aid Office. The program is funded by the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Marymount participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, part of the post-9/11 GI bill which provides grants of $2,000 per year to eligible veterans pursuing undergraduate or graduate degrees. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) matches this amount with another $2,000. Eligibility requirements are available through the VA or Marymount’s Office of Student Affairs.


The Federal Direct PLUS Loan may be used to supplement other financial aid programs. Parents of dependent undergraduates are eligible to apply for this loan each academic year at a variable interest rate. Eligibility is based on credit worthiness. Students must follow the financial aid application procedures. Specific details may be obtained by contacting the Financial Aid Office.

The Federal Direct Subsidized Loan is for students enrolled on at least a half-time basis in a degree program; it enables them to borrow an annual amount based on their grade level and length of program. The federal government will pay the interest until the repayment period begins, six months after the student leaves school. The Financial Aid Office provides information on obtaining the loan with award letter notification. Students must complete the financial aid application process and demonstrate need in order to qualify. Students who plan to pay tuition through a Federal Direct Stafford Loan should apply for this loan in time for it to be processed before registration.

A Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is available for those who do not demonstrate need. The terms are the same as those for the Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan except that the student is responsible for the interest while in school.

The Federal Perkins Loan is a program providing long-term loans to students who demonstrate financial need and are capable of academic performance at an acceptable level. No interest accrues on the loan as long as the borrower remains at least a half-time student. Interest begins to accrue nine months after the borrower ceases to be at least a half-time student. The interest accrues at the rate of 5% per year. There are special cancellation provisions for borrowers who either become teachers in designated schools educating students from low-income families, or are teachers of handicapped students or students in Head Start programs. Students must follow financial aid application procedures.


Marymount University offers several performance-based Academic/Service Scholarships. All scholarships are designed for full-time, first-degree undergraduates, and can be applied to undergraduate tuition only, unless otherwise specified. Renewable for four years of full time study providing the student maintains a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5. Transfer students are eligible for some scholarships as well. Please see the following list for eligibility criteria and other details about Academic/Service Scholarships. Students interested in these scholarships should contact the Office of Admissions.

Marymount also has a number of need-based and merit scholarships funded by generous donors to the university. Students deserving consideration for such scholarships are typically identified by a school or department within the university. For further information about all scholarships available, contact the Office of Admissions or the specific school or department.

Academic/Service Scholarships

Clare Boothe Luce Scholarship
Offered pursuant to a major bequest to the university by Mrs. Luce. The fund provides scholarships to highly qualified female undergraduates to encourage them to enter; study; and earn a degree in biology, information technology with a computer science specialty, or mathematics. Students committed to further study in the medical sciences are not eligible. Graduating high school seniors, transfer students, and currently enrolled students may apply. Awards are made solely on the basis of merit and are calculated to include the cost of tuition and/or room and board. Eligibility is limited to women who are U.S. citizens and enrolled full time. Applications received by February 1 will be given priority consideration; late applications are accepted until May 1, contingent upon funding.

Spirit of Service Scholarship
Offered to students who have met high academic standards and have an outstanding record of volunteer service activity in their high school, church, and/or community agencies. The award can be added to any existing Marymount merit scholarships. Spirit of Service Scholarship awards range from $2,500 to $5,000. Scholars must continue full-time enrollment, maintain good academic standing, and complete 60 hours of volunteer service work each semester. Applications received by March 1 will be given priority consideration; late applications are accepted until May 1, contingent upon funding.

Transfer Academic Scholarship
A scholarship for new full-time transfer students. To be considered, students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or better and intend to earn their first bachelor’s degree from Marymount. The scholarship is renewable for full-time students providing the student maintains a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5.

Student Employment

Federal Work-Study (FWS)
This program makes on-campus jobs available to students with demonstrated financial need. Federal Work-Study eligibility is determined by the Financial Aid Office. To qualify for this program, students must be eligible to work in the U.S. and be enrolled full time at the time of application.

All students in this program are paid by paycheck based on a two-week pay cycle. The earnings are not directly applied to student accounts. Before students can be paid, they will be required to complete federally mandated employment paperwork, including an I-9 form, which establishes identity and work authorization, as well as federal and state tax forms. Students may also elect to complete a direct deposit form to have their paycheck sent directly to a bank of their choosing. Students must also follow financial aid application procedures by filing a FAFSA. (For further information see the Financial Aid Application Procedure.)

Campus Employment
The university employs a large number of full-time students and pays them from its own resources. Students who are not eligible for FWS awards may apply for employment under this program. Students apply for jobs through the Jobs4Saints website. Student employment is managed by the Center for Career Services.

Gainful Employment Programs

New federal regulations require colleges to inform students of their prospects for "gainful employment" when receiving federal financial aid for nondegree programs. The disclosures were mandated to assist students in choosing the right program for their needs and to prevent them from taking on debt for programs with subpar professional placement rates. Prospective students will find Gainful Employment Disclosures for each certificate program on the appropriate school’s website. Title IV federal financial aid is not available for certain non-degree programs but private and institutional aid may be available. All degree programs are exempted from the Gainful Employment Disclosure mandate.


Students who withdraw from the university before the 60% point of the semester will have their federal financial aid prorated according to the federal formula. In addition, students failing to earn at least one passing grade in a semester will have their federal financial aid prorated and returned.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students are required to meet minimum standards of academic progress in order to continue to receive financial aid. The details are explained on the reverse side of the financial aid award letter and on the Financial Aid web pages about academic progress standards.

Repeating Courses

Students should be aware that, for federal financial aid purposes, they can only receive federal financial aid toward one retake of a previously passed course or its equivalent. This means that once a student has passed a particular course, Financial Aid can count that student as being enrolled in that course only one more time for federal aid purposes.

Catalog Contents

Undergraduate Catalog 2016-17

General Information


Financial Information

Academic Support Services

Academic Information and Policies

University Requirements and the Liberal Arts Core

Academic Opportunities

Undergraduate Programs

Course Descriptions

University Leadership

Notices to Students